Prospective Graduate Students
Application deadline for Fall Semester is April 15.
Application deadline for Spring Semester is October 15.
Students should apply well in advance of the semester in which they wish to enter, but not more than one year before the proposed entry date. Applications for admission are accepted throughout the year, with cutoff dates for each term. The cutoff date for fall semester is April 15th and the cutoff date for spring semester is October 15th. Students are highly encouraged to schedule a campus visit and connect with faculty members before applying. If interested in scheduling a visit please contact: Allison Berth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upload the required materials to the ApplyYourself online application
We cannot review your application until all of the required materials are submitted successfully to to the online application. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants using this system.
The prerequisites for admission into the Animal Sciences Graduate Program are:
1. A baccalaureate degree or its international equivalent in agriculture, biology, or a closely related field. Applicants should have substantial training in chemistry, mathematics, physics, and statistics. A minimum baccalaureate grade point average of 3.0 is generally required for admission to the M.S. and Ph.D. programs in Animal Sciences. A minimum M.S. grade point average of 3.2 is generally required for admission to the Ph.D. program.
2. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. GRE test scores are used in conjunction with other admission material to assess the potential of the candidate to successfully complete a graduate program at the University of Minnesota. There is no minimum GRE score above which a student must score in order to be considered for admission to the Animal Sciences Graduate Program.
3. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a requirement of the Graduate School for all applicants whose native language is not English. A minimum score of 550 is required for admission to the Graduate School.
4. Three letters of recommendation.
5. Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material. If you have problems uploading your transcripts, please click here.
6. A personal statement by the applicant describing objectives and goals.
7. If you have already identified and confirmed a faculty member who will serve as your advisor, please write a paragraph highlighting why you are interested in working with them.
If you have not yet identified and confirmed a faculty member who will serve as your advisor, please select up to three faculty members that you are interested in working with. Write a paragraph for each faculty member highlighting why their research and work interests you, and what you hope to gain working with them specifically.
Questions? Please contact our Student Services Professional Allison Berth at email@example.com or 612-624-3491.