Scott M. O'Grady
- Research Associate, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1985-1987.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Chicago, Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences, 1983-1985.
- Ph.D., Physiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1980-1983.
- M.S., Physiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1978-1980.
- B.S., Zoology and B.S., Environmental Biology, Eastern Illinois University, 1974-1978.
Investigations in my laboratory focus on understanding mechanisms and regulation of electrolyte transport across epithelial tissues and on innate immune function of the airway epithelium in relation to cystic fibrosis, asthma and allergic airway disease. Cultured human airway epithelial cells are currently used to study regulation of ion transport and cell migration by a variety of signaling molecules. A combination of electrophysiological approaches and molecular techniques provide a means of identifying transport mechanisms and signaling pathways that are important in controlling salt and fluid movement across the airway epithelium. Studies of innate immune function are being conducted in collaboration with Dr. Hirohito Kita from the Mayo Clinic. These studies address the role of the airway epithelium in allergic inflammation induced by environmental allergens and fungal infection of the lung.
- ANSC/PHSL 5700; PHSL 4700: Cell Physiology
Honors & Awards
- 2017: Editor's Choice Recognition; Journal of Physiology.
- Jun 2017: APSselect Award; American Physiological Society.
- Apr 2017: Paper of the Year Award; American Journal of Physiology [Cell Physiology].
- Aug 2016: APSselect Award; American Physiological Society.
- Apr 2012: Star Reviewer Award; American Journal of Physiology [Cell Physiology].
- Jul 2007: Teaching excellence in Veterinary Physiology Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota.
- May 1990: Gordon L. Starr Outstanding Faculty Contribution Award, University of Minnesota.
- Editorial Advisory Board, American Journal of Physiology [Cell Physiology].
- Editorial Advisory Board, International Archives of Clinical Pharmacology.
- Consulting Editor, Physiological Reports.