Michael M. Schutz
305B Haecker Hall
1364 Eckles Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
+1 612 624 1205
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, Animal Breeding and Genetics, 1991
- M.S., University of Minnesota, Animal Breeding and Genetics, 1987
- B.S., University of Minnesota, Animal Science, 1984
- Dairy cattle genetics and management in the areas of pre-partum milking of dairy heifers, genetic decision making for pasture-based dairy farms, and technologies for early intervention to allow prevention and alleviation of animal disease.
- Standardization of milk records for milking interval. In cooperation with National Dairy Herd Improvement Association and USDA’s Animal Improvement Programs Laboratory, Dr. Schutz has initiated work to estimate new factors to standardize milking interval.
- Optimum genetic selection for pasture-based dairy producers. This research initially focused on determining the presence of minor genotype by environment interactions in dairy cattle management systems. More current work is to develop appropriate economic weights in selection indices for use by dairy graziers.
- Assessment of intervention technologies for dairy cattle. This ongoing research will uncover the cost-benefit relationships of dairy farm investments in intervention technologies, such as automatic temperature monitoring and automatic body condition scoring.
- Assessing chronic stress in calves. Preference for sucrose has proven to be an indicator of stress in calves. Follow-up work is exploring the impact of stressors, such as time of grouping and group size, on heifer and veal calves.
Honors & Awards
- Gary Sorg Memorial Award for Professional Achievement, Delta Chapter, Delta Theta Sigma, University of Minnesota, March 19, 2016.
- Golden Graduate Award, University of Minnesota Dairy Club, outstanding contributions to the dairy industry, February 21, 2016.
- Honorary American FFA Degree, National FFA, 2014.
- Cooperative Extension Team Award, Indiana Extension Educators Association, Indiana Dairy Youth Conference Team, 2013.
- International Award, Indiana Extension Educators Association, Farmer-to-Farmer Program: Food Security/Ethiopia, 2013.
- Steve Atkisson Indiana Dairy Service Award, Indiana Milk Quality Professionals, 2012.
- Team Award, Purdue University Cooperative Extension Specialists Association, Purdue Dairy Extension Team, 2011.
- Selected as Faculty Service Learning Intern, 2011.
- Award of Merit, Purdue University Chapter of Gamma Sigma Delta, 2010.
- Honorary Professor, Faculty of Animal Science, Ion Ionescu de La Brad University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, Iasi Romania, 2009.
- President, Dairy Practices Council, 2009-2012; Vice President, 2006-2009.
- Eric G. Sharvelle Purdue University Distinguished Extension Specialist Award, 2008.
- Team Diversity Award, Epsilon Sigma Phi, for Sharing More Than a Border program, 2008.
- Achievement in Global Awareness, Epsilon Sigma Phi, 2008.
- Dairy Executive Committee, US Extension Dairy Specialists, 2006-2012.
- Dairy Practices Council, Certificate of Appreciation of Service, Louisville, KY, 2006, 2012.
- Epsilon Sigma Phi (Extension Professionals’ Organization), elected 2006.
- Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service Team Award for Confined Animal Feeding Workshop Team, Lafayette, IN, October 2002.
- Dairy Practices Council, Board Member from Education in Dairy Production, 2002-2006.
- American Dairy Science Association Member 1983-present.
- Journal of Dairy Science, Genetics Section Editor, 2002-2009.
- Appointed Secretary-Treasurer American Dairy Science Association, 2012-2013.
- Midwest Section President, 2006-2007; Vice President, 2005-2006; Secretary, 2004-2005.
- Genetics, Extension, and Graduate Paper Contest Committees.