Lee J. Johnston
Professor-Swine Nutrition & Management
West Central ROC
46352 State Hwy 329
Morris, MN 56267
+1 320 589 1711
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1988
- M.S., Texas Tech University, 1984
- B.S., Penn State University, 1982
- Energy and protein nutrition of sows
- Feedstuff evaluation
- Gilt development
- Management of reproducing sows
- Nutrition/environment interactions
- Nutrition of the newly weaned pigs
- Use of renewable energy in pork production systems
- Improving Ag Literacy for Non-Farm Citizens
- Improving Production Expertise of Producers
- Improving Technical Knowledge of Industry Professionals
- International Collaborations in Swine Production
- Minnesota Nutrition Conference
- National Swine Nutrition Guide
- Operation Mainstreet
- PQAPlus State Training Team
- SowBridge Program
- Training Employees for Modern Pork Production
- Use of Alternative Pork Production Systems
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Distinguished Alumnus of the Department of Animal Science, Pennsylvania State University.
- Named Pork Industry Master by National Hog Farmer Magazine, May 2014.
- Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, 2008. Awarded by the Animal Sciences Graduate Club, University of Minnesota.
- 2008 Innovation Award in the Science category sponsored by the National Pork Board. Xu, G., S.K. Baidoo, L.J. Johnston, J.E. Cannon, D. Bibus, and G.C. Shurson. 2008. Effects of dietary corn dried distillers grains with soluble (DDGS) and DDGS withdrawal intervals on pig growth performance, carcass traits, and fat quality. J. Anim. Sci. Midwest Section Abstr. No. 161.
- 2007 Honorary Chapter FFA Degree awarded by the Morris Area FFA Chapter.
- 2004 Innovation Award in the Outreach category sponsored by the National Pork Board. Pohl, S., R. Thaler, M. Brumm, R. Stowell, J. Harmon, D. Stender, J. Weiss, L. Johnston, and L. Jacobson. 2004. Use of a mobile ventilation laboratory (VL) for hands-on training of pork producers in building ventilation. J. Anim. Sci. 82(Suppl. 2):46 (Abstr.).
- Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, 2003. Awarded by Animal Sciences Graduate Club, University of Minnesota.
- Honorable Mention Paper Award from American Society of Agricultural Engineers, awarded in 2004. Johnston, L.J., C.J. Clanton, C. Ajariyakhajorn, and S.M. Goyal. 2003. Survival of pathogenic indicator organisms in started swine manure containing ground piglet carcasses during cold temperatures. Appl. Eng. Ag. 19(4): 491-497.
- 2002 Innovation Award in the Outreach category sponsored by the National Pork Board. Johnston, L.J., and J.A. Sterle. 2002. Use of a hands-on workshop to teach swine reproductive management to farrowing barn workers. J. Anim. Sci. 80(Suppl. 2):48(Abstr.).