The University of Minnesota was established in Minneapolis in 1851. In 1868, land was bought southeast of Minneapolis to establish an Agricultural College and Experimental Farm. One year later, Colonel Daniel A. Robertson was elected the first Professor of Agriculture. Livestock teaching was among his duties. However, that year no one enrolled in the agriculture program. In 1872, Dalston P. Strange was the Professor of Agriculture, but according to University President Fowell, "So far as I am aware, not a single young man has come to the University to learn the science of farming". When Charles Y. Lacy took over the position of Agriculture Professor in 1874, he had one or two students annually. In 1881, Edward D. Porter became Professor in Agriculture. He taught livestock feeding and breeding among many other disciplines. He had practically no assistance.
In 1882, the 155-acre J. W. Bass Farm in St. Anthony Park was purchased to serve as the new site for the School of Agriculture and Experiment Station. This site was known as University Farm and is the present day St. Paul Campus. A farm house, large barn and farm were established. Edward D. Porter became the first Director of the Experiment Station. Several more people were appointed in the School of Agriculture.
The School of Agriculture was opened at University Farm in 1888. A 2-year practical course was offered, which included lectures and training in animal breeding, feeding, farm hygiene, and veterinary science. Seventeen students enrolled that first year. The second year, 76 students had already enrolled. The Experiment Station building burned down in 1890, but a new dairy building was erected on the same site.
Clinton DeWitt Smith was appointed Professor of Dairying in 1891. He increased the size of the dairy herd and brought Theophilus Levi Haecker to the School. T. L. Haecker became Professor of Dairy Husbandry. He later became known as the "father of Minnesota dairying" and the "father of cooperative creameries", as he was an evangelist of cooperation. Professor Haecker kept the most complete records imaginable on his feeding experiments. He developed the famous Haecker Feeding Standard, which electrified the dairy world when it was published in 1913. It was the first feeding guide specifying the amount of energy and protein to feed a cow based on the cow’s weight, the amount of milk produced and butterfat percentage. In 1923, a new dairy building was named after Professor Haecker.
Willet M. Hayes had taught the General Agriculture course, which included animal husbandry, since 1893. Hayes suggested that animal husbandry be a separate division within the School of Agriculture. Thomas Shaw was hired to teach animal husbandry and conduct livestock feeding experiments. By that time, the School of Agriculture was growing rapidly in its number of students. The dairy building was doubled in size, a sheep barn, and hog and poultry facilities were built.
In 1902, Professor Thomas Shaw resigned his position as Head of the Animal Husbandry Division in the School of Agriculture and Experiment Station. Andrew Boss, because of his successes as a Professor in the Division of Animal Husbandry, was appointed Acting Chief of the Division while retaining his position as Assistant Professor in Agronomy. Professor Boss became Chief of the Division of Animal Husbandry in 1904. Andrew Boss felt that the quality, supply and variety of meat for the farming community would raise the standard of living. In 1894, he had offered the first course in dressing and curing meats in an agricultural school in the U.S. or Canada. This course was received so well that in 1901 a new meat laboratory was built. By 1905, there were four meats courses. Andrew Boss also was a strong promoter of the showing and judging of livestock at the International Livestock Exposition in Chicago. His many successes greatly increased interest in animal husbandry at the University. A cattle-breeding project with Milking Shorthorns was started. Professor Boss also planned and directed the building of the new Livestock Pavilion for the Animal Husbandry Division in 1904. For many years, this building was considered one of the outstanding animal husbandry facilities in the U.S. Andrew Boss became known as the "grand old man of Minnesota agriculture". The meat science laboratory was named the Andrew Boss Laboratory of Meat Science in 1977.
T. L. Haecker succeeded Andrew Boss as Chief of the Animal Husbandry Division in 1910. Professor Haecker was succeeded as Chief by H. R. Smith in 1912 and by Carl Warren Gay in 1916. In 1922, Walter Harvest Peters became the Head of the Division of Animal Husbandry. Peters Hall was built in 1950 and housed the Divisions of Animal and Poultry Husbandry. Professor Peters was succeeded by E. F. Ferrin in 1949.
H. H. Kildee succeeded T. L. Haecker as Chief of the Division of Dairy Husbandry in 1917. Clarence Henry Eckles was appointed Chief of the Dairy Husbandry Division in 1919. His staff were the top group of teachers and scientists in the country. In 1936, J. B. Fitch became Division Head. It was under his direction that Edward Graham worked on world-renowned research to preserve sperm of all species of farm animals and poultry. C. L. Cole became Dairy Husbandry Division Head in 1956. He holds the distinction of being the first person in America to successfully inseminate a cow which resulted in a calf. In 1959, a Dairy Industry Department (now Food Science and Nutrition) separated from the Department of Dairy Husbandry.
St. Paul Campus in 1927
In 1966, the Divisions of Poultry Husbandry, Animal Husbandry, and Dairy Husbandry merged into one Department of Animal Science. Peters Hall became the administrative office for the Department. C. L. Cole was Department Head until 1969. He was succeeded by Professor Hueg who was Acting Department Head for one year. R. W. Touchberry became Head in 1970 and was succeeded by Dick Goodrich in 1981. Donald Otterby became Acting Head in 1994. F. Abel Ponce de León held the Department Head position from July 1, 1997 to January 17, 2006. James G. Linn served as Interim Department Head from February 2006 to June 2007. On June 11, 2007, Dr. Linn took the permanent position as Department Head.
Dr. Michael E. White, a 20-year veteran of the Department of Animal Science in Muscle Biology and Animal Growth Development, became Department Head in October of 2011 after Dr. Linn 's retirement at the end of September of that same year.
The swine and physiology groups moved from Peters Hall to the Veterinary Medicine/ Animal Science building in 1993. The dairy group moved from Haecker Hall to Peters Hall in 1997 while Haecker Hall was being renovated.
New Haecker Hall became the home for the Department of Animal Science in September 1998 and now includes the administrative offices as well as dairy and poultry faculty, students, staff, and teaching and research facilities.
This history of the Department of Animal Science was compiled by Albert de Vries, Fall 1997. Updated January 2006 by Bonnie J. Rae.